Here is my take on the the Chicken Lettuce Wraps you can get at restaurants like P.F. Chang’s and Yard House. A much lighter version that comes together in only 15 minutes!
The Salad myth: Not as light as you would think
Before I started counting points on WW, I would order something like this if it was on the menu at a restaurant, or I would go for a salad. These options are lower in carbs and include lots of vegetables, so they had to be the lightest options on the menu. Right?
This is the “salad myth.” If you’ve been on WW or counting your macros for a while, you know what I mean. Many times, salads at restaurants have more calories and fat than a cheeseburger. And lettuce wraps are just as bad. The P.F. Chang’s version is 17 SmartPoints!
Make Your own sauce
The culprit in these cases is the dressing and/or sauce. So, let’s make our own!
My version of this dish comes in at 8 SmartPoints for the ENTIRE recipe! That’s mainly because I’ve made my own version of hoisin sauce, using ingredients that I already have on hand anyway. I don’t want to spend money (and extra points) on a product that I’ll probably only use for one recipe.
The best part? This recipe takes 15 minutes to make, and you only have to chop a few things. This will definitely be a regular on my menu as the weather starts to heat up. You could add in lots of chopped veggies to the mixture, too. I’ve added chopped mushrooms and diced peppers. Get creative!
I’d love to hear from you if you make this recipe! It makes my day when you share your pics on Instagram and tag me (@litecravings). Don’t forget to use #litecravingsrecipes to make sure I see it. If I don’t get a chance to scroll through my tags quickly enough, I won’t see your post. I always make a point to look through the hashtags, though. So I’ll see it there!
Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- 1 lb ground chicken breast
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1 8 oz can water chestnuts, chopped
- 1 head butter lettuce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3 tbsp powdered peanut butter (I use PB2)
- 1 tbsp honey or agave
- 2 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp Chinese Five Spice blend (you can just add some powdered ginger if you don’t want to buy this for one recipe)
- Over medium-high heat, brown chicken in a large skillet coated with cooking spray, about 5 minutes While chicken is cooking, add sauce ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside.
- When chicken is cooked, add in sauce, water chestnuts, and green onions. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until sauce has soaked into the chicken, about 5 more minutes.
- Garnish with extra scallions. Serve in butter lettuce leaves as the “cups.”