When I’m at large gatherings with a lot of food, my biggest weakness is dip. For Superbowl every year, my friends throw a huge party with an insane amount of delicious food that is definitely NOT WW-friendly. With the big game coming up, I decided to create a dip that I can bring and share with everyone while still staying on track. That means it couldn’t can’t taste like I’ve cut all of the “good stuff” out. Well, we have a winner with this one, folks!
Spinach Artichoke dip is a favorite of mine and a total crowd pleaser. By using 0% Greek yogurt instead of all of the mayonnaise that is in most recipes, I’ve saved a lot of calories and added some tang. I actually like it better this way! You can’t tell that there’s Greek yogurt in there–just something a little more complex than the super rich and greasy versions of this dip.
You can totally make this ahead. Just mix up all the ingredients and keep it in the refrigerator for a day or two until you want to cook it up. This is also delicious cold, but make sure you let it sit in the refrigerator for at least an hour before you eat it to make sure the flavors meld together. If I’m just making this for me and Jeff, I’ll refrigerate the whole recipe, then scoop out 1/3 cup servings and microwave them for about 45 seconds. SO yummy! And, yes–this freezes perfectly.
I hope you love this recipe as much as we do! If you make it, be sure to tag me on Instagram or Facebook (@litecravings) and use the hashtag #litecravingsrecipes. I sometimes miss a tag here or there, but I always check in on the hashtag.
Lightened-Up Spinach Artichoke Dip
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, defrosted
- 14 ounce can artichoke hearts, chopped
- 8 ounces light cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3 ounces Trader Joe’s lite shredded mozzarella, or fat free mozzarella (about 3/4 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp each kosher salt, red pepper flakes, and ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a small baking dish (8×8 will do) with nonstick cooking spray.
- Drain all water from defrosted spinach. If you don’t have time to defrost, microwave the spinach in a covered bowl for 4 minutes, then drain.
- In a medium bowl, mix together softened cream cheese, yogurt, parmesan, and most of the mozzarella cheese (reserve two or three tablespoons for the top). Mix in spinach, artichoke hearts, garlic, and seasonings until everything comes together.
- Spread mixture evenly in greased dish. Top with reserved mozzarella. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until hot and bubbly.